Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thinking on other people's time, or, why it's good to be prepared

I'd like to make one thing very clear from the get go. I am a big fan of thinking. I think about all sorts of things...from what color lipstick I'd like to wear today to the odd habits of those crazy little quarks. Clearly, some of these thoughts are deeper than others, I do own a lot of lipstick after all.

Thinking can be great fun to be sure, and I understand can even help to stave off Alzheimer's disease. Amazing! However, thinking at inappropriate times is no fun for anyone at all.* Like, when the waitress has come by you table for the 5th time and your date STILL doesn't know what to order. Or, like when you're standing in line at the grocery store waiting for a price check for the cranky lady in front of you that got the only bunch of banana's without a sticker on it, and the checkout girl is brand new! That's a serious amount of no fun whatsoever. Another time it's no fun to be thinking is when you've called a company. Reason being, other people call too! Most of them even know who they're calling because they checked their messages and wrote down the person's name and maybe even their extension(!). But while you're thinking about who you're calling, or why you'd be doing that in the first place,** all those other prepared people have to wait. That's no fun for those people at all. I believe in fairness. You believe in fairness too I'm sure. It is very unfair to make other people wait. And unfair is no fun. Do you really want to ruin someone else's day like that? I thought not.

*It can even go so far as to make someone stress out, which in turn creates a cascade of chemical reactions and induces inflammation in the body, which has been proven to be a contributing factor in developing Alzheimer's disease...Scary!

**If you're not sure why you're calling, other than there's a number on your phone, please see some of my previous posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment